Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, November 30, 2014

In All These Things

I am always amazed at how I can read several passages from the Bible and fail to notice
certain things, until one day suddenly, a word or phrase jumps out at me. This verse from 1 Thessalonians 5: 18 is an example of that. It says, "In every thing give thanks : for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." Notice it doesn't say, "For everything," but "In everything." 
Thanksgiving in America is now behind us and we are looking forward to Christmas and then the New Year. Some of you may still be rubbing your stomachs and thanking God for his bountiful blessings, while others may be thinking, "Why should I be thankful? Nothing went right for me this year, and I don't see things getting any better next year."

I sympathize. The news is so full of all the bad stuff going on around us that even those of us who have not suffered any hardship over the past months may still be affected by all the doom and gloom. But the Bible tells us, "In every thing give thanks."

So, here are some reasons why we should be thankful:

1. Because it is God's will for our lives, and if it is His will, we know that everything will turn out well.

2. It shows God that we trust Him, and this pleases God. The Bible says, "And without faith it is impossible to please God," Hebrews 11: 6.

3. Being thankful relieves us of anxiety, takes the burden off ourselves and puts it on God. Isn't it wonderful to know that "in all these things" we have Someone who loves us and is looking out for us?

Anyone can be thankful when the table is loaded with goodies, our family members are well and we know where our next meal is coming from. But in the sickness, in the divorce, in the hardship, we are to give thanks to God.

And as my way of saying thanks to all my followers and readers, I will be giving away two copies of Chicken Soup For The Soul: Reboot Your Life in which one of my stories is published. If you are already a follower, all you have to do is write to me at aquild43@gmail.com between now and Dec. 15 and tell me what you like about this blog and your name will be entered in a drawing to receive a copy free of charge, postage paid. If you are not yet a follower, you may do so by clicking on the Follow This Blog button or by subscribing.





No comments: